Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Traveling outside the U.S.

For research or scholarship

When traveling to a foreign country, you must follow all U.S. laws and WSU policies.

Essential information for travelers

The Office of International Programs provides information about the following:

Export control laws

Are you taking project information and equipment with you, such as computers. software, or other tools? Steps may be necessary to comply with export control laws. Complete the export controls decision tree to determine what measures are needed for compliance.

Travel costs

Establish an agreement and/or account prior to your travel so that costs incurred within the project’s time frame will be covered. Contact your departmental administrator or the Office of Research Support and Operations for guidance.

Sponsor approval

Do you need written approval from your sponsor before traveling to another country? Check with the Office of Research Support and Operations coordinator to determine if sponsor approval is necessary.

Medical coverage while you are overseas

WSU has contracted with On Call International to provide emergency and non-emergency related services and benefits while WSU employees are traveling internationally. On Call International responds to critical medical or safety emergencies and can also help you resolve non-critical day-to-day travel issues. Additional information about these services is available at On Call’s WSU Searchlight Portal. The group ID is 100061CPPD16.