Office of Research Support and Operations
Serving the WSU research community
The Office of Research Support and Operations (ORSO) manages research proposals, award reviews and negotiations, and related compliance, training, and data reporting operations. It works with researchers throughout the University system to do the following:
- Ensure proper submission of proposals
- Process agreements with funding organizations and other entities
- Provide policies, guidelines, and data for the WSU community
- Supply tools that make it easier for faculty to proceed through administrative processes associated with research
- Support and monitor activities that advance implementation of the WSU strategic plan, specifically with regard to development of exceptional research, innovation, and creativity
How ORSO assists the WSU research community
ORSO continually seeks new ways to advance the University’s research mission. Its administrators pride themselves on being responsive to faculty and staff needs. ORSO supports WSU research, scholarly, creative, and service activities in the following ways:
Reviews proposal submissions
ORSO staff ensure that proposals for funding are accurate and complete, and that they comply with policies and regulations.
Processes funded and non-funded agreements
Once a grant proposal has been accepted, ORSO negotiates terms of the agreement between the WSU researcher and the sponsoring agency. It ensures that the researcher understands obligations to be met with receipt of the award. ORSO also processes non-funded agreements that govern issues such as confidentiality, material transfer, and data sharing.
Ensures policy compliance
ORSO updates WSU researchers on federal, state, and WSU policies and guidelines governing the conduct of research. Current information is communicated to help researchers adopt safe and proper practices.
Trains faculty and staff
Training programs span a range of topics, including budgeting, use of the MyResearch portal to route and track proposal submissions, and more.
Provides data about WSU research activity
ORSO is the central source for data on WSU proposal and award activity, including reports by sponsor, college or department, date and amount ranges, success rates, and more. Contact ORSO to request information.