Serving the WSU research community
The Office of Research Support and Operations (ORSO) is the central WSU hub for research proposals, award reviews and negotiations, and related compliance, training, and data reporting operations. It works with researchers throughout the University system to do the following:
- Ensure proper submission of proposals
- Process agreements with funding organizations and other entities
- Provide policies, guidelines, and data for the WSU community
- Supply tools and provide trainings and workshops that make it easier for faculty and staff to proceed through administrative processes associated with research
- Support implementation of the WSU Strategic Plan
ORSO Vision, Mission, and Motto
- Vision: To be recognized as providing the WSU research community with premier operational support services, both internally and by our peer institutions.
- Mission: To provide operational support and expertise related to extramural funding, collaboration, and engagement to the WSU research community by processing proposals, awards, and contracts; providing access to tools and training; developing and implementing guidance; and working with the community to improve efficiencies, reduce administrative burden, and drive growth.
- Motto: Be ready. Be responsive. Be resourceful.
How ORSO assists the WSU research community
ORSO continually seeks new ways to advance the University’s research mission. Its administrators pride themselves on being responsive to faculty and staff needs. ORSO supports WSU research, scholarly, creative, and service activities in the following ways:
Proposal review and submission
ORSO staff ensure that proposals for funding are accurate and complete, and that they comply with policies and regulations.
Processing Funded Awards and Unfunded Agreements
Once a grant proposal has been accepted, ORSO negotiates terms of the agreement between the WSU researcher and the sponsoring agency. It ensures that the researcher understands obligations to be met with receipt of the award. ORSO also processes non-funded agreements that govern issues such as confidentiality, material transfer, and data sharing.
Strategic initiative implementation
ORSO updates WSU researchers on federal, state, and WSU policies and guidelines governing the conduct of research. Current information is communicated to help researchers adopt safe and proper practices.
Faculty and staff training
Training programs span a range of topics, including budgeting, use of the MyResearch portal to route and track proposal submissions, and more.
Collect and report data about WSU research activity
ORSO is the central source for data on WSU proposal and award activity, including reports by sponsor, college or department, date and amount ranges, success rates, and more. Contact ORSO to request information.
Other WSU research support
ORSO manages several ad hoc and standing committees supporting WSU research including the Conflict of Interest Committee, the Research and Arts Committee, and other important system-wide initiatives.